|Why is Eating Breakfast so Important?
Written By: Miss Tami
There is no wonder why we use the word "breakfast" because it literally means that we are BREAKING the FAST by eating breakfast in which you eat from night until morning while your body undergoes many processes that are extremely beneficial. When we are sleeping our body is in "re-set" mode and regulating our blood pressure, insulin levels, heart rate, and renewing our cells. It is not about WHEN you eat...it is all about WHAT you eat, because whatever you decide to eat first in your day- will set the stage for the rest of your day's metabolism and how your body burns calories thoughout the day.
Studies show that when you don't eat breakfast you can become more overweight due to being in "starvation mode" and cleaning out the breakroom with eating junk food. However when you do actually eat breakfast, you tend to focus better in school or at work. In addition, your body uses that fuel for energy so you can sustain your daily living tasks and not overeat later. It also sends a message to your body saying PHEW I don’t have to starve and conserve extra food to store for energy later.
Now true enough…some people skip breakfast because they were in a rush and are running out the door or didn’t go grocery shopping. I have been guilty of this for sure but here is a motto that I live by: Fail to Plan...Plan to Fail! You must have a plan and in order to set goals organized enough to achieve.
Everyone has different likes and dislikes as well as dietary needs so there is no “cookie cutter” way for me to tell you what you should eat for breakfast without properly assessing you. However eating something with protein and fiber is ideal although some may say pairing carbs with protein is best. I think a little bit of both keeping in mind that the protein is sustained energy that will last, the carbs will burn off quickly, and the fiber keeps you feeling satisfied
So the biggest take away here is that everyone needs to eat breakfast if you want to start your day off on the right foot. Also, your first bite matters...so make it a good one.
Best, Miss Tami
|U Down With MCT? Ya…U Know Me…14 Reasons of Why to use MCT:
Written by: Miss Tami
1- It can help you intake more fat which is a necessarynutrient in everyone’s diet. Fat helps us absorb Vitamins A, D, E, and K which help make up our cell walls to insulate our body and protect our organs. Our bodies are quite amazing but can’t produce all of the Fats necessary so that is why we supplement with Fats like this.
2- It helps you lose weight because it is so satisfying due to the 2 hormones: Peptide and Leptin giving you that sense of being full and/or satisfied with your hunger which helps with appetite control. This causes the chain reaction of you feeling more satisfied therefore not intaking as many calories.
3- It will give you extra energy making it unnecessary to store fats. The reason that it gives you more energy is because the MCT Oil literally goes straight from your gut to the liver and immediately converts into energy or ketones.
4- It can help with inflammation.
5- It can actually help boost your strength.
6- It helps your body to produce ketones which is a good energy source for your brain. If it doesn’t immediately convert to energy it produces ketones passing through the blood brain barrier helping with one’s ability to think, creating better memory retention, and helping one make better judgment.
7- If you have digestion challenges, your doctor may recommend you get more MCT. Which in this case, you can supplement with MCT Oil to help the nutrients digest more efficiently.
8- Studies show that if an individual is known for having seizures or has epilepsy, a high fat ketogenic lifestyle works well. Therefore, intaking MCT Oil, could help raise the levels of fat intake in the body to help to get into ketosis.
9- It can lower and or improve cholesterol levels- which helps to protect the heart.
10- It can lower your blood sugar levels.
11- MCT’s actually inactivate four different types of pathogens that are found in drug-resistant bacteria that results from overusing antibiotics which in turn acts as a “natural antibiotic”.
12- It helps to balance out hormones to the proper levels due to the ability to combat depression, increase metabolism, and act as a “mood enhancer’ to make you feel at your best.
13- MCT Oil can also be used in the beauty department to act as a natural hair and nail moisturizer. It can actually help to treat dandruff.
14- Subsequently it can also help your overall body to accelerate healing by fighting catabolism and increase your ability to absorb amino acids.
|Keto or not to Keto...
Written by: Miss Tami
After many months of studying Keto, asking a lot of questions, and contemplating...I made a decision. It was on August 24, 2019, I chose to change my lifestyle and put premium gasoline in my tank rather than that "cheap stuff". I would rather my energy off of healthy sustaining fats rather than carbs. The first two weeks of trabsitioning my body into ketosis were very difficult. I was a little irritable and struggled with staying disciplined but knew this was a commitment so I was determined. I lost 10 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks and felt great. Then plateaued a bit and continued my weight loss losing a total of 18 lbs in 2 months. More importantly, I am losing a lot of inches and really feel a difference. The best thing about it all...I don't feel like I am "missing out" like as if I were on a diet. This is a lifestyle and I get to eat meat, bacon, avocados, cheese, nuts, veggies, eggs, and last but not least...dark chocolate and much more. This is my new lifestyle and I am loving it! Keto or not to Keto...I say "YES" for me!
|20 Reasons to Chew Gum
Written By: Miss Tami
1- RELIEVES STRESS, ANXIETY, &TENSION
2- STRENGTHENS TEETH AND GUMS, AND CAN WHITEN YOUR TEETH
3- HELPS YOU DIGEST YOUR FOOD BETTER
4- FRESHENS YOUR BREATH AND KILLS BACTERIA
5- HELPS YOU BREAK BAD HABITS
6- IMPROVES YOUR MEMORY AND LEARNING
7- ENHANCES YOUR REACTION TIME AND PERFORMANCE.
8- KNOWN TO GIVE YOU A SEXIER JAWLINEAND/OR REDUCE OR PREVENT YOU FROM HAVING A DOUBLE CHIN
9- HELPS YOU TO LOSE OR MANAGE YOUR WEIGHT
10- WAKES YOU UP
11- HELPS YOU TO POP YOUR EARS, OR TO GET RID OF AN EAR INFECTION/EAR WORMS
12- HELP YOUR GUT RECOVER AFTER A SURGERYTO SPEED UP RECOVERY TIME
13- CAN HELP CURE NAUSEA
14- REDUCES ACID REFLUX AND HEART BURN
15- RELIEVES DRY MOUTH
16- FIGHT COLDS
17- CAN HELP YOU IF YOU WANT TO STOP YOU FROM CRYING
18- HELPS TO FIGHT DEPRESSION
19- CAN HELP YOU BETTER YOUR ACADEMIC AND TESTING PERFORMANCE
20- FOR FUN! My daughter and I spent a whole hour taking pictures with our gum and doing gum commercials on my phone. Having fun is one of the most important things to do in life. Enjoy every minute!
Intermittent Fasting 101
Written by: Miss Tami
Intermittent Fasting is an eating pattern where you cycle between periods of eating and fasting.
Types of Fasting:
Be clear on what your goal is and which type fits your daily scheduled routine to suit your needs.
• “Eat-Stop-Eat- 24-hour fast” 1x/2x per week
• 5:2 Diet consuming 500-600 calories in 2 non-consecutive days of the week/eating normally the other 5 days per week
• Eating only 600 calories per day for a period of time
• Eating once per 24 hours
• Schedule Fasting Ratios:
Reasons for Fasting:
• Religious Beliefs: Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism
• Health Reasons:
o Or Cardiovascular Disease
o Also they say that if you have Parkinsons, Alzheimer’s, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Cancer, or Diabetes- research shows that you are able to manage these diseases better by fasting.
o Some say it prevents Cancer and sometimes it can reverse Type 2 Diabetes.
• Losing Weight: It is all about “Input and Output”: Food is energy. When we eat and don’t work it off by exercise and/or movement our body stores our food which can sometimes lead to weight gain, obesity, and diseases.
What Happens to Your Body When You Fast: • After you eat, your body is in the “fed state” for 3-5 hours which makes it challenging to lose weight due to the increase in insulin levels. After the “fed state”, your body undergoes a period of time known as the “post absorptive” state that lasts 8-12 hours and your body burns fat due to your insulin levels being low.
• Your body undergoes many processes that are extremely beneficial.
• Your brain increases neurotrophic factors improving cognitive functions.
• Blood pressure and resting heart rate starts to reduce.
• Your old cells go into “repair-mode”.
• Insulin levels in your body drop dramatically.
• Automatically your body reduces bad “LDL” cholesterol and blood triglycerides which are associated with heart disease.
• And best of all…your HGH “Human Growth Hormone” levels sky rocket which benefits muscle gain and weight loss (as long as you don’t over consume during eating windows)
Benefits Associated with Fasting:
• It actually boosts your metabolism.
• Reduces Belly Fat and Inflammation.
• Helps you live longer and age gracefully.
Cohorts Who are not Encouraged to Fast:• People who are under the age of 18.
• Those who have eating disorders or are underweight.
• Women who have challenges with infertility.
• Women who are breast feeding or are pregnant.
• Or if you have a medical condition such as Diabetes or Low Blood Pressure. In this case, it is advised that you consult with your doctor prior to fasting.
Side-effects Associated with Fasting:• Weakness
• If you are not lifting weights…you can lose muscle mass. (That is why you want to make sure that you keep your protein-intake high.)
5 Tips for Fasting:
• Number 1- In the beginning, skip meals from time to time when you don’t have time to cook or when you are not hungry to test how your body responds.
• Number 2- Make sure that you fast when it’s convenient for you so that you can be more successful.
• Number 3- Experiment with the different types of fastingthat I mentioned so that it works in your daily schedule and life style.
• Number 4- Drink water, coffee, and tea and other non-caloric beverages to help hunger pains.
• Number 5- When you are feeling hungry, instead of cheating and eating food…consider chewing gum. Chewing Gum actually helped me in a weightloss contest during the 3 holiday months. There are actually lots of benefits associated with chewing gum not to get off topic but seriously…In fact…that may be my topic for my next show.
Written by: Miss Tami 9.25.2019
Drinking water is an essential part of our well-being and our body depends on it. We should be drinking an average of ˝ of our body weight in ounces. To achieve this goal I have developed:
25 Tips to Staying Hydrated
1. Drink a glass of water before each meal.
2. When going out to eat a meal in a restaurant, choose water instead of other drinks. It will save you money, keep you hydrated, and it is healthier.
3. Alternate drinking water in between drinking alcoholic beverages and/or coffee.
4. When you take vitamins or medication, always drink a full glass of water with it.
5. Start your day with a warm glass of water and lemon for many health benefits.
6. Invest in some fun straws and drink your water with a straw.
7. Eat food that has a high water content to “eat your water” rather than drinking it ie: watermelons, cucumbers, zucchini, green cabbage, strawberries, pineapples, oranges, grapefruit, spinach, cranberries, cauliflower, radishes, peaches, apricots, etc…
8. Carry your water bottle around with you everywhere you go to be mindful of drinking water throughout the day.
9. Jot down how many ounces of water you drink in a food journal or in a cell phone app.
10. Carry around a water jug with goals for drinking water in time intervals throughout the day.
11. Add more spice to your food to strategically make you drink more water.
12. Drink a glass of water before you take a shower to help lower your blood pressure.
13. Drink water, before, during, and after your workout.
14. Drink a glass of water after each time you use the bathroom.
15. If you are exposed to someone who is ill or if you are ill, drink more water.
16. Add more water to your fruit juice to dilute it and to intake more water throughout the day.
17. Set your alarm to remind you to drink water throughout the day.
18. If you are feeling hungry, try drinking a glass of water instead of eating to see if it curbs your appetite and helps reduce your food intake.
19. Challenge a friend to a “water challenge” and keep track of who hits their goal daily to keep each other accountable.
20. Try infusing or adding watermelon, lemon, grapefruit, strawberries, cucumber, mint leaves, flavor enhancer, or lime to your drink to make your water more interesting.
21. Reward yourself…for every 3 glasses of water, you can have a soda or coffee.
22. Each time you drink an entire bottle of water, refill it and drink more.
23. Drink more herbal tea. 24. Buy more fancy-types of water bottles to make drinking water more fun.
25. Add lots of ice to your smoothies and protein shakes.